Department of Pharmacology
We are strongly devoted to providing our excellent programmes in teaching, research and service, and we are committed to the development of leadership, innovation and scholarly excellence.
The translation of fundamental knowledge in the basic sciences to medically relevant problems is a major goal of the department, and we are capable of providing the individualized attention and training necessary for the development of the medical scientist of the future.
- Recognize the important figures, events, and resources in the development of pharmacology through the ages.
- Know what is meant by pharmacology.
- Define drugs, identify their sources, and understand how they work.
- Be familiar with the federal laws that regulate drugs and the agencies that administer them.
- Be familiar with the procedure for getting a new drug to market.
- Theory (Lectures & Tutorials)
- Power presentation along with chalk board
- Students can download lectures from the department website
- MORE EMPHASIS ON UNDERSTANDING AND APPLIED PART.
- After the completion of a lecture 10 minutes time given to students for queries
- Most of the applied part is covered
- Problem Based Learning
- Practical Manual
- Case discussion
- Seminars & Group Discussions
|Clinical Pharmacology / Pharmacy Lab||Research Lab||Experimental Lab||Chemical Pharmacology Lab|
|Area: 225 sq. mtr.||Area: 50 sq. mtr.||Area: 225 sq. mtr.||Area: 30 sq. mtr.|
|Seating: 90||Seating: 25||Seating: 90|
- Lectures are taken with appropriate use of media and animation videos are added to the lecture so as to have better understanding of the topic.
- Computer simulated animal experiments are conducted in the department, give each individual student an appropriate time to understand and perform the experiment.
- Emphasis is given to therapeutics so as to equip the students with better knowledge to handle certain emergency later in there posting.
- World Wide Web is used to help them know about certain relevant concepts with are hard to understand but are essential basic concepts. (www.icp.org.nz)
- Inculcating in them a habit of research by involving students in research (ICMR-STS projects)
- Giving training on reporting of ADRs with the help of clinical vignettes.
- Newer techniques like Cross Word Puzzle as a part of assessment.
Activities of the Department
- The Department is registered with IPC under PvPI as AMC center.
- The Department trains the undergraduate students the basic principles of Pharmacovigilance to inculcate the habit of Adverse drug Reaction reporting in the medical professionals.
- The Department is using computer simulation models as replacement of animal experiments for undergraduate students and postgraduate students. The department uses various innovative methods to teach students like seminars by students, small group teaching, assignment completion, etc.
- The Department is actively involved in research with Postgraduate students conducting research and faculty also involved actively in research.
- The Department also plans to start research at undergraduate level with involving students to take up ICMR-STS projects.
- The Department recently conducted a crossword puzzle competition for one of the units.