ALTERNATIVE CAREER PROGRAMMES IN MEDICAL DOMAIN
India is known for its diverse healthcare system, encompassing modern medicine and a plethora of traditional, alternative, and complementary medicine systems. There are several alternative medical career programs available in India apart from MBBS that provide excellent opportunities for students interested in pursuing a career in healthcare. This blog will discuss some of the alternative medical career programs available in India in the medical fraternity.
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS): Dental surgery is a branch of medicine that focuses on diagnosing, preventing, and treating oral diseases. BDS is a 5-year undergraduate degree programme that covers dental surgery, anatomy, physiology, pharmacology, and surgery principles and practices. Students are trained to diagnose and treat oral diseases such as cavities, gum disease, oral cancer, implant making, realigning teeth, etc. This program is heavily dependent on a practice-based approach. It needs good exposure to undergo hands-on training for versatile situations; Teerthanker Mahaveer Dental Hospital provides such exposure to its students. In addition to qualitative academic growth, Teerthanker Mahaveer Dental College and the research center attract students willing to pursue research-specific opportunities.Check out more about Teerthanker Mahaveer University and its other subsidiaries.
- Bachelor in Physiotherapy (BPT):Physiotherapy, a 4.5 years programme is actively gaining popularity as a career choice amongst students. Physiotherapy focuses on reinstating rehabilitative methodologies, understanding the bodily structure, etc. Like many medical domain-specific professions, Physiotherapy is a practical programme that gives exposure to real-life examples and situations and how to treat them. Subsequently, obtaining an education that delivers industrial exposure via hospital empowers the students in greater understanding.The Department of Physiotherapy,TMU provides the facility of visiting at TMU Hospital, a super specialty hospital with 800+ beds. The aspirants get more hands-on training under supervised guidance, ultimately making you a better professional.
- Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery (BAMS):Ayurveda is an ancient Indian system of medicine practiced for thousands of years. BAMS is a 5.5-year undergraduate degree programme that combines the study of Ayurvedic principles, anatomy, physiology, pharmacology, and surgery. The course curriculum is designed to provide students with a deep understanding of the Ayurvedic system of medicine and its application in treating various illnesses.
- Bachelor of Homeopathic Medicine and Surgery (BHMS):Homeopathy is a holistic system of medicine that uses natural substances to treat various health conditions. BHMS is a 5.5-year undergraduate degree programme that covers the principles and practice of homeopathy, anatomy, physiology, pharmacology, and surgery. Students are trained to identify the underlying cause of an illness and prescribe homeopathic remedies that stimulate the body's natural healing process.
- Bachelor of Naturopathy and Yogic Sciences (BNYS): Naturopathy is a natural system of medicine that uses natural remedies and therapies to treat illness. BNYS is a 5.5-year undergraduate degree programme that combines the study of naturopathy, yoga, and other holistic therapies. The course curriculum covers the principles of naturopathy, anatomy, physiology, pharmacology, and yoga therapy. Students are trained to use natural remedies such as herbal medicine, hydrotherapy, and acupuncture to treat various illnesses.
- Bachelor of Pharmacy (B.Pharm):Pharmacy is the science of preparing and dispensing drugs and medicines. B.Pharm is a 4-year undergraduate degree programme that covers the. principles of pharmacy, pharmacology, and pharmaceutical chemistry. Students are trained to prepare and dispense drugs and medicines, provide drug information to patients and healthcare professionals, and research new drugs and medicines. For pharmacy programmes, colleges with a good laboratory setup are necessary to give students the proper exposure; Teerthanker Mahaveer College of Pharmacy provides best-in-class infrastructural amenities along with excellent academic and placement facilities.
- Bachelor of Nursing (BSc Nursing): Nursing is an integral profession of the medical fraternity that plays a crucial role in the hospital structure. BSc Nursing is a 4-year undergraduate degree programme that covers numerous supportive techniques and aids in assistance to the physician. Today's nursing profession has immense demand in India and overseas. The scope and remuneration is handsome, and one can pursue post-graduation as well. Teerthanker Mahaveer College of Nursing is the hub of excellence in nursing education. With a focus on holistic development, students here are nurtured into skilled healthcare professionals with strong values and ethics. It is indeed the best place for nursing professionals.
Also read: Career in Healthcare: Top 5 options to Consider
In addition to these undergraduate programs, several postgraduate programs are available in alternative medicine, including Nursing, paramedical, pharmacy, dental, physiotherapy etc.