Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
The specialty of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (OMFS) is the art and science that merges the skill and acumen acquired in dentistry with the knowledge and confidence of medical surgical specialty by treating minor surgical to major in patient surgical treatments.
From the humble beginning of dental background, confined to treating difficult extractions and impacted teeth and jaw pathologies, to treating of facial bone fractures the specialty has gradually widened its expertise to cosmetic jaw and facial surgery (Orthognathic Surgery), Oral Rehabilitation through Dental Implants, Jaw Joint disorder management and to the handle the ever burgeoning burden of oral pre-cancer and cancer of oral cavity.
Specialized equipment and specialized treatment
The department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, which is making its presence felt more and more in the medical world can have no better place to show its potential than the esteemed TMU University with its world class Super-specialty Hospital and state of the art healthcare system in the country. The Department is responsible for management of the maxillofacial trauma in the 880 bedded medical center and hospital. Round the clock service, outpatient inpatient and emergency service is provided by a team of experienced maxillofacial surgeons working as 2 units providing expert service 24 X 7 X 365 not to mention the extra day on the Leap year.
Research & academic activities
The Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery offers MDS course which has an intake capacity of five students per year. Numerous clinical trials, in-vitro studies and surveys dealing with the various treatment modalities and advances in the subject are conducted in our department. Interesting researches and original studies undertaken by the post graduate students and staff members are regularly been published in the leading national and international journals. Post graduate students attend national and state conferences, convention and various CDE programs held every year.
Scientific forum is conducted by the department once every year where post graduate students and staff make presentation about the current and ongoing advances in our specialty to enlighten the knowledge of postgraduates from other specialty department and under graduate students. Seminars, journal clubs, pedagogy, case presentations and tests are conducted for the post graduate students on regularly according to the schedule prepared on a monthly basis.
- Orthognathic Surgery:
- Beauty is Skin Deep is a proverb that has been proved wrong... it is at least deep to the bone. Orthognathic Surgery is a branch of OMFS that aims to correct under grown, over grown or asymentric jaw and enhance the beauty of an individual by correcting the jaw bones.
- The department has been involved in orthognathic surgery and is one of the best centers for quality treatment.
- With facilities for pre and post surgical orthodontics and availability of fully adjustable articulator SAM III and Surgical planning Platform, It is one of the best orthognathic center.
- Maxillofacial Trauma:
- With nearly 200 trauma related surgeries in a year, the department is one of the renowned maxillofacial trauma centers.
- Currently the areas of interest include Orbital Reconstruction, management of Post traumatic deformity and newer internal fixation plate designs.
- Maxillofcial Implantology:
- Handling more than 200 cases of trauma each year, the department had to face the challenge of adequately rehabilitating these patients to proper dental function and esthetics.
- Dental implants, the state of the art modality to replace missing teeth can be of little help when one is lost due to trauma. This opened up a new area of interest in bone grafts in these patients for dental implants.
- Autogenous, alloplastic and homogenous bone grafts are being done and later implants are placed to totally rehabilitate patients with maxillofacial trauma.